This article describes the architecture and design of Platform9 Managed OpenStack (PMO).
Benefits of OpenStack
When building your self-service enabled private cloud, you need to deploy complex frameworks to ensure your business SLA for uptime and availability are met. If the volume of users using your application increases, the application must scale to meet the additional requirement. If an instance in your application goes down, it needs to be replaced with another. Platform9 Managed OpenStack (PMO) provides you with a managed platform to run your distributed applications resiliently. It takes care of scaling of instances, failover, deployments orchestration and more.
Benefits of PMO:
- Self Service
- PMO enables developer self-service on top of KVM and VMware.
- Automated rollouts and rollbacks
- With built-in orchestration and application templates IT Ops and DevOps can ensure consistency without the burden of error prone manual deployments.
- Resource management
- By creating tenants with defualt instance lease times and quotas for CPU, Memory and Storage administrators no longer need to worry about sprawl.
PMO is designed to help you make use of all the benefits of OpenStack, while ensuring you can run large scale, production ready, multi-cluster deployments of virtualization that meets your business SLA.
PMO employs a unique SaaS - managed deployment model where you OpenStack control plane along with all the OpenStack components are deployed in infrastructure of your choice, while there is a cloud-hosted management plane that maintains connectivity to your hypervisors via agents that are installed on them. The cloud hosted management plane can then perform a number of operations such as:
- Easy preparation of nodes with pre-requisites
- Automated deployment of Software-Defined Networking for your virtualized enviroment
- Detection of anomalies and comparison with known database of issues
- Live auto-repair of anomalies, when possible
- Auto-alerting of users on critical issues and auto-generation of notifications to Platform9 support
- Upgrade of your environment to latest version of OpenStack